The lead boards on a pallet are the deck boards that are located at the leading edges of the top and/or bottom of wooden pallets. The lead deck board performs critical functions in product protection and in material handling.
- Make sure that high quality nails and the maximum number of nails for this joint are being used.
- Specify a stronger wood to be used in the lead deck board position.
- Try switching to a wider lead board. The most common width for this is between 5-1/2” and 6”, though wider material may be available from your supplier.
- Add a second “butted” board directly behind the lead board.
- Consider the use of an alternative material such as extruded plastic or engineered wood.
Do you have any questions about pallet lead boards? Leave your question below and I will get back with an answer.
Post by: Rich Reiher, Vice President