Industry Experience and Engagement
John began his work with the pallet and packaging industry at Virginia Tech, earning his B.S. and M.S. degrees while working at the Virginia Tech Pallet & Container Research Laboratory. Following graduation, he served as a Research Associate at the Lab, then as the first Director of the VT Center for Unit Load Design. In 2001, John left Virginia Tech for private industry and now serves as Technical Director at The Nelson Company, a global pallet and packaging solutions supplier. John’s roles at Nelson include technical advisor, cost savings assessments, performance audits, and consulting.
John taught numerous short courses on Pallet and Packaging Design with Virginia Tech. He currently serves on the Advisory Board with the VT Center for Unit Load Design. He is active in industry conferences and associations, is a frequent speaker at transport packaging industry conferences and has written numerous articles for peer review and trade journals. One of his articles, Pallets 101, gives an overview of the pallet industry, how to design pallets and general characteristics of wood pallets, steel pallets, corrugated pallets and plastic pallets.
11 Years at Virginia Tech Pallet and Packaging Lab
25 Years in Industry
Conferences & Memberships
ISTA Transpack Forum
ISTA Technical Board
VT Center for Packaging & Unit Load Design Advisory Board
MHIA MH1 Pallet Standards Committee
Past Director of VT Center for Unit Load Design
ISTA’s R. David LeButt Award 2005
- Protect Roll Products with Custom Pallet Design
- Are you creating an environment for mold growth?
- 4 Areas of Focus during a Tech Center Evaluation
- Are your pallets safe for your rack application?
- Are published load ratings accurate?
- Plywood vs. OSB for Crating - which is best?
- 3 Ways to Avoid ISPM 15 Issues
- Why the VT Pallet Lab is so Important to the Pallet Industry
- The Best Non-Shipping Uses for Wood Pallets
- Oh No! I have a stain on my wood pallet.
- Inbound Logistics Interviews Nelson's John Clarke for Feature Story
- 5 Things John Clarke is Looking Forward to at ISTA TransPack Forum 2014
- 3 Solutions for Wood Pallet Price Increases
- Choosing the wrong shipping pallet could lead to your biggest export nightmare
- Nelson's John Clarke Lands the Front Page of Ista Views
- 5 Ways to Reduce your Packaging Waste
- Tech Center to the Rescue: The Case of the Bowing OSB Pallet
- 6 Ways to Protect Your Product During Shipping
- How to Lower Your Freight Costs as Transportation Prices Soar