Properly maintained and managed, a well-built wood pallet is one of the most sustainable products in the marketplace. To that point, we’ve documented wood pallets in some of our pools that have been in service for over 10 years!
The good news is you don’t have to scrap the pallet.
Here are some of the other end uses for wood pallets:
- Salvage the remaining good boards for reuse to repair or remanufacture other pallets.
- Grind the pallet for reuse as animal bedding, mulch or fuel.
- Make furniture. The internet is full of ideas for converting wood pallets into tables, couches, wall shelving, wine racks, nursery planters and even a house.*
- Make a backyard bonfire (where legal).*
* Important Notes:
- While a bonfire or making furniture from pallets may sound like a great idea, the recycled material may not be safe for all uses.
- Used pallets can be found in a variety of areas, so please check with the property owner before removing a pallet to ensure the pallet is designated for scrap removal and not being used by the business.
What is your best non-shipping use of a wood pallet? Share your photos with us below.
Be sure to check out - Top 3 Unconventional Uses for a Plastic Pallet.
Post by: John Clarke, Technical Director